Monday 25 November 2013

Chapter 1 - Terminal 2.

I'm sitting here, in a sleepy departure lounge waiting to check in. To set the scene – passengers are sprawled out on couches, hoping to catch forty winks before the stress of travelling begins; others peruse their laptops and other technological gadgets, perhaps checking themselves in on Facebook (as I will probably do myself shortly) to prove to others that we do have a life; the lazier of us stare into space and there is one gentleman reading an ACTUAL book! It’s so dark outside that all you can see is the reflection of the terminal and the blinking  of Christmas lights outside. There is a Christmas tree in one corner. I haven’t slept since last night. I'm wondering how long I'll be able to maintain this state of being awake.

I have been planning this trip since March. It’s been a long yet short wait – if you've ever been looking forward to something you'll agree and understand that. I still can't believe I'm here. FINALLY! And so, with time to spare (as I'm ridiculously early, as per usual), I've decided that I would set up this account of my travels in Australia and any other corners that life takes me. Having left my Irish family behind (tears and hugs in abundance), I'm off to see the Australian contingent! It feels very surreal to me - I've been planning it for so long I suppose so it won't hit me until I get to London to my connecting flight which will take me to Malaysia and then on to Australia.



I haven't seen my dad and sisters in years and one sister I have yet to meet so this trip is giving me the opportunity to reconnect with them and to have some well-deserved fun. I’d be lying if I said I wasn't excited – haha! I'll have to learn the lingo, I suppose. And there are BBQ plans afoot for my sister’s birthday at the weekend so I'll get some photos up from that in my next post. 

I hope, whoever you are – family, friend, foe or complete stranger, that you will enjoy reading these little anecdotes. Even though I may be away for a while you will be able to see what I get up to and keep in touch. Enjoy and happy reading! Love Tash 

No comments:

Post a Comment